IntellivisionRevolution Forums
Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum

I forgot my password

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of IntellivisionRevolution Forums on your social bookmarking website

Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 28 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 189 on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 8:05 am
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

The Intellivision Forums
Statistics
We have 463 registered users
The newest registered user is greenturtle39

Our users have posted a total of 4155 messages in 882 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Intellivision Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Racing Wheel Controllers

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Racing Wheel Controllers Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:20 pm

sloan

sloan

Does anyone collect and enjoy playing racing games with a good wheel/pedal setup? I have to say that racing is probably my favorite gaming genre, but steering wheel controllers have been hit and miss as far as making the playing experience better. My favorites are the N64 Cruisin' games played with an interact wheel/pedals controller. Some that I don't think control well are games that have touchy steering mechanics to begin with. If you find that the analog stick steering control on a PS2 or Xbox game is overly sensitive, I have found that a racing wheel controller only magnifies the problem.

Any thoughts?

2Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:29 pm

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

I have only played the Colecovision and N64 Interact but was pleased with both.
Guess you could count the Atari Indy 500 controller also.

I have heard a lot of other people complain about some of the Playstation and Xbox steering wheels.

Anyone recommend a good steering wheel for any system?

3Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:05 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

I have a Nascar racing wheel that I use with my computer to play, well, a Nascar racing game. Smile

https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

4Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Sat 11 Aug 2012, 6:19 pm

sloan

sloan

Word of warning: All Playstation racing wheels do not work with all racing games on PS2. I have one that looks like a few pins are missing in the connector and it obviously was designed for PSX games and consoles. It works with PSX console fine and every PSX racer I throw at it. I plug it into my PS2 consoles and some racers work fine (Ridge Racer, NASCAR 2001, Gran Turismo 4), but others will not even register a single button click (Ford Racing, NASCAR Heat 2002). I have another multi-platform wheel (PS2, DC, GCN) and it performs with every PS2 racer I throw at it. In looking at the Playstation plug on this one, all the pins are present.

So, be wary. Just because a racing wheel has a Playstation plug, make sure to look at the pin count to know for certain whether it is a PSX or PS2 controller. PSX wheels will work with some PS2 racers, but not all and it is very hit and miss to the ratio. When they work with a PS2 racing game, all buttons and pedals work great, but it is just trying the games to see which ones register and which ones do not.

5Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Sat 11 Aug 2012, 11:45 pm

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Thanks for that info sloan.

How do you like the multi-platform wheel?

6Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Mon 20 Aug 2012, 9:36 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

Well, talking about racing controllers, I just got this one for my Vectrex, the Overdrive Controller:

Racing Wheel Controllers IMG_1502

It works both as a paddle controller and as racing controller. I just tested it this weekend and it works very well. The positioning of the black buttons works perfectly because it allows the player to shift gears with the thumb while still steering.

7Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Mon 20 Aug 2012, 7:18 pm

sloan

sloan

Now that's a piece of ancient tech I didn't know existed. Racing in vector graphics, who would have thought?

8Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Mon 20 Aug 2012, 7:32 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

sloan wrote:Now that's a piece of ancient tech I didn't know existed. Racing in vector graphics, who would have thought?

Oh yes, Pole Position, Hyperchase, and a couple of new homebrew games are being developed as well.

9Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:16 pm

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Looks like it would fit the Vectrex experience. Does it?

10Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Mon 20 Aug 2012, 8:46 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

onthinice wrote:Looks like it would fit the Vectrex experience. Does it?

Yes it does, and quite well. Smile

11Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Tue 25 Sep 2012, 11:21 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

My review of the Overdrive Controller is up on RVG: Overdrive Controller

12Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Wed 26 Sep 2012, 9:22 am

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Great Review! Funny thing after all these years that someone is providing a steering controller. That is a good thing!

13Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Wed 26 Sep 2012, 9:24 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

I doubt the folks who originally designed these consoles ever expected them to be still be "alive" thanks to the efforts of fans of said consoles. Smile

14Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Wed 26 Sep 2012, 7:31 pm

sloan

sloan

Well written review, even if I know basically nothing about Vectrex. Always a fan of vector graphics arcade titles like Battlezone and Tempest, I did know of the Vectrex. I should say that the small display screen (is that a 10"monitor?) is a deterrent for me.

15Racing Wheel Controllers Empty Re: Racing Wheel Controllers Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:04 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

sloan wrote:Well written review, even if I know basically nothing about Vectrex. Always a fan of vector graphics arcade titles like Battlezone and Tempest, I did know of the Vectrex. I should say that the small display screen (is that a 10"monitor?) is a deterrent for me.

Thank you! The display screen works just fine for the system. You are not sitting to far from it when you play. A much larger screen would be impractical because of the overlays used to colorize the games.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum